Thursday, May 28, 2009

Inch by Inch

Today will be my first attempt at measuring myself. In an effort to not be attached to the number on the scale, I have bought a flexible tape measure to have black and white results. I relate the scale to food, but I relate measurements to body. I also have ideals about a ‘dream weight’ that aren’t based on any sort of facts, it’s just a number that sounds really good to me (ahem, 120 lbs). However, I have no real preconceived notion about what my body measurements should be. Of course there’s the thought of having a 28” inch waist… but I have jean sizes for me to know I’m nowhere close to that. However, when it comes to thighs, hips, biceps, etc… the number I find when I measure will just be what it is… and won’t be relative to some ideal that I may never be.

I read that you are not supposed to take measurements more often than monthly as it may take six to eight weeks to notice any change. Apparently people shouldn't expect to see progress more quickly than that and taking measurements more often can be discouraging. This will be hard for me. At first I thought I would take them weekly, but I don’t need any more discouragement than I already have. Why can’t it come off as quickly as it comes on?

No comments:

Post a Comment